The Limeliters - Lyrics
Many of the songs sung by The Limeliters are traditional or popular folk songs, so you can find lyrics to them in any common folk song collection.
However, a few of their songs were written by members of
the group or by selected songwriters, and I think these are some of their best songs! Of course the lyrical content means little without hearing the song -- so go buy those Limeliters albums!
So far, I only have had time to transcribe a few, so if you'd like more included, go ahead ant type 'em up and e-mail them to me!
- A Better World - An inspiring song
about making the world a better place.
Acres of Limeliters - This song musically tells the story of The Limeliters!
"The Bear Chase" It opens with "Today, campers, the scheduled activity will
be a BEAR CHASE!" and then hits the chorus
"Away, away, we're bound for the mountain
Bound for the mountain, bound for the mountain,
O'er the hills, the fields, the fountain,
Away to the chase, away!"
- Circle - A moving song about life's ups
and downs - - a common concert closer for The Limeliters.
- Gilgarry Mountain (Darlin' Sportin' Jenny) - The Limeliter's rousing version of this traditional Irish folk ballad.
Harry Pollitt - Where will the leading British Communist Party leader go - heaven or hell?
Have Some Madeira, M'Dear - An "Edwardian ballad" about a nauseatingly sweet wine ...
A Hundred Men - A sobering and important anti-war song, words and music by Alex Hassilev of The Limeliters.
- The Time of Man - An uncharacteristically grim topic for the Limeliters, sung with melodious irony; redolent of an era of which, thank god, the young 'uns of today have little knowledge-- remember hiding under your desk for "bomb drill?"
- Until We Get It Right - An
uproarious song on the theme of - reincarnation!
Vasectomy - Rated R for Really Funny!
Lyrics and music by Larry
Vikki Dougan - This hilarious song written by
Malvina Reynolds with a little help from Lou Gottlieb is accompanied by the risqué photo
of the actress who inspired the song.
- Zen Gospel Singing - Sung acapella,
pokes gentle fun at what happens after you shave your head...